<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10069810\x26blogName\x3dNot+Prince+Hamlet\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5295355548743914979', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Not Prince Hamlet

"Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse."

'Tis Nearly Upon Us

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

That old dog, winter. At the house where we lived in New Jersey, the sun shone through this big bay window and onto the couch, and our cats would sprawl out in delirium for hours. That's the way to pass the winter.

I recently came upon some sloppy and hastily-composed verse that I scrawled around this time last year. I share it for your amusement only (and a little bit out of my need for affirmation):



I have delighted in fall long enough to know that its' joys will not last;
they will wear on for a time,
and then they will become the curses of a damnable ragged winter.
Then I will aspire for spring's open windows and late afternoons,
only long enough to grow tired of heat and mosquitos.
posted by Not Prince Hamlet, 4:19 PM

4 Comments:

I know that couch!

Nice prose, bro...except I have to disagree with you about winter. Winter is skiing and snowball fights and Christmas and that awesome still quietness right after a snowfall. Then again I never lived thru a Denver winter!

Cheers,

E Dub
commented by Anonymous Eric, 12:32 PM  
The Denver winter is the one you described; the Missouri winter is the one that's damnable ragged.
commented by Blogger Rocky, 1:04 PM  
If Missouri winters are like the Kansas winters I grew up with often there is wind and cold and ice and little of the snow that I considered the beautiful payoff for my suffering.
commented by Blogger Rebecca K, 11:00 AM  
Definitely conveys a strong message..thats what makes good poetry. I like it. I hear that restlessness, of not quite being satisfied with the passing of time, once you are ready for the season, it has moved on to the next. I challenge you to write a poem just like this one but this time form the point of view of someone who takes in every moment rather than feels it slipping by. Cheer me up over here!!!
Tara:)
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 10:55 PM  

Add a comment