<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10069810\x26blogName\x3dNot+Prince+Hamlet\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5295355548743914979', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Not Prince Hamlet

"Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse."

Eat Your Heart Out, Bill Bryson

Friday, December 02, 2005

I took my own walk in the woods today, Burr Oak Woods in Blue Springs--to be precise. It was a clear, brisk day with a biting wind blowing throughout the morning. It was refreshing, invigorating.

The complex itself is kind of disappointing; the "trails" are all smooth asphalt, and they just sort of wend their way through a patch of trees. I spent most of the time walking off the trails, trampling on tall grass that had evidently been driven upon previously. That felt better to my feet, but it left me more exposed to the wind. In any case, it's the best use I've made of a day off (or, at least, half a day off) in a very long time. I think that a Friday morning hike would be a good habit to get in to. Any other suggestions from local people?

One of the things I sorely miss about Colorado is the abundant availability of walking trails in beautiful wooded areas. Missouri has some lush forests, but I'm finding it difficult to locate and get to them. And I'm hardly a nature enthusiast. In fact, I spent the morning before my walk playing Madden 95 on my plug-and-play console; it's a wonder I made it out of the apartment at all. But thank God I did.
posted by Not Prince Hamlet, 2:26 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment