<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10069810\x26blogName\x3dNot+Prince+Hamlet\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5295355548743914979', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Not Prince Hamlet

"Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse."

Of Poker and Hospital Visits

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Last night was poker night. Some friends of mine and I have been getting together once-a-month to play poker, and last night was our monthly rendezvous. I lost. I suck at poker.

All the same, I look forward to poker night like nobody's business. Most times, it's simply a chance to sit around a table with good friends for a couple of hours and forget about everything else (I say most times because sometimes this one guy plays, and he's super-aggressive, so it speeds the game up and makes it a bit less laid back).

Last month, I looked forward to poker night for days. Then I got cleaned out in less than an hour, and for about 48 hours afterwords was just sour about the whole thing. Last night I promised myself wouldn't be like that. And it wasn't, partly because Meredith played too, and she wouldn't hesitate to come across with a backhand if I got pissy. I still lost. Quickly. But it's an expense you budget for, like going to the movies or having lunch at Gates BBQ with Toby. It's good, clean, much-needed, fun.

And now, this morning, I'm due at the hospital at 7:30 in order to pray with a church member before she's wheeled into surgery, and then to wait with the family for awhile. It's just one of those things you have to do, one of those things you want to do; that makes it one of those things that you know tell you you're in the right place.

Labels:

posted by Not Prince Hamlet, 4:20 AM

1 Comments:

I want you to be MY pastor. Truly, I do.
commented by Anonymous Jerilyn, 11:36 AM  

Add a comment