<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10069810\x26blogName\x3dNot+Prince+Hamlet\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5295355548743914979', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Not Prince Hamlet

"Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse."

What Did You Do Today?

Friday, July 06, 2007

It's a question these past days have caused me to dread. There really is no dignified way to say that you spent the day getting turned down for waiter jobs. There just isn't.

So here's what I did yesterday: in addition to the standard practice mentioned above, I completed and mailed a resume, cover letter, salary history, and references to a local university for an academic advising job. I also wrote and mailed two queries to magazine publishers for stories I'd like to write.

I trotted down to the local bookstore to find a copy of Writer's Market, which is the Bible of freelance writing. Both Borders and Barnes and Noble have only the "deluxe" edition of the book's 2007 edition, and it costs $50. I held off on buying it. I've always tried to avoid being one of those people who goes overboard about something before he really understands what he's getting in to.

But maybe overboard is where I need to be. The ship itself may be sinking.

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Not Prince Hamlet, 6:50 AM

4 Comments:

Dude, got your message. No problem. I hope these work out for you. It'll happen....faith my friend.

I know, it still sucks.
commented by Blogger Scott, 11:27 AM  
I can say this with a fair amount of authority:

GO OVERBOARD.

Those books are worth more than their cover price. Whenever I've gone overboard (which is often) I fully invest in those resources, and that is really the only reason I recoup my investments. It is also the only way I avoid costly mistakes.

Check with the Dr., but I say commit yourself to 6 months of "overboard." Call yourself a writer and a consultant and be that for 6 months. Write a book proposal in addition to those articles.

Be a bus boy to pay for it if you have to, but be it. Don't put your hand to the plow and look back. Be it.
commented by Anonymous landon, 11:45 AM  
That's a hearty challenge, Mr. Whitsitt. I expect nothing less from you.
commented by Blogger Not Prince Hamlet, 1:36 PM  
Kairos and Ms. Kairos have sent you something by email. Check it in case it got stuck in the spam filter, but I doubt it...

Oh, and Landon rocks...
commented by Anonymous kairos, 2:37 PM  

Add a comment