<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10069810\x26blogName\x3dNot+Prince+Hamlet\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://nphamlet.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5295355548743914979', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Not Prince Hamlet

"Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse."

"Wow. That's a Lot of Water"

Monday, April 21, 2008

So one week after a moving service of installation I had my first baptism at The Church. My very gracious colleague invited her new associate to do the baptism early in the week, and he jumped at the chance.

It was not my first baptism, but it was my first adult baptism (insert grimace here).

The baptized, a 17 year old high school senior, wore a white tuxedo. I told him beforehand, "I hope you're ready for that tux to get wet." He smiled and said he was. But he had no idea what was coming. Surely, he could not have been prepared for the tsunami that came tumbling out of my cupped hands and onto his stiffly-gelled hair, down onto his shoulders, dripping onto the kneeler, and splatting onto the wooden chancel floor.

The congregation heard, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

I heard, from inside my spinning head, "Wow. That's a lot of water. Probably too much."

I will always defend the liberal use of water in baptism, especially the baptism of an adult. But I'm afraid I went a bit overboard there. Given the choice between too much and too little, though, I'll take that miscalculation every time.
posted by Not Prince Hamlet, 3:39 PM

2 Comments:

Oh, that's awesome.

I'm with you: Pour. It. On.

I had a 6 year old girl tell me one time that, if I got her dress wet, she was walking away. Hilarious.

Yes, yes: God's love is a tsunami of Grace. And it makes us grimace. And it makes us check ourselves.

But, Oh how good it feels to get wet. Good on, ya.
commented by Anonymous landon, 7:43 PM  
I love it. I love that the dude wore a white tuxedo and I love that you poured water all over it (and his gelled hair, to boot). The first time I saw a pastor use a liberal amount of water on a baby's head I was moved, as opposed to a "sprinkling" - I think it MORE than appropriate.
commented by Blogger Jerilyn, 1:07 PM  

Add a comment